Frequently Asked Questions
See our Gemstones page to learn about many types of gems. And feel free to contact us – we are very knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions you may have!
Moissanite is a beautiful, durable and economical alternative to diamond and now there are even more choices when it comes to selecting the perfect stone for you custom designed engagement ring!
Forever One™ Moissanite
One of the latest developments in moissanite creation, these gems are available in the coveted D-E-F colorless range in limited quantities and cuts.
Ideal cut NEO moissanite is made to mimic the look of a diamond by reducing the dispersion of light and the rainbow effect that is characteristic of moissanite.
The original brand of gem moissanite is available in shades J-K on the color scale and a variety of cuts and sizes, with an accessible price point.
The second generation of gem quality moissanite is available in near colorless G-H-I color scale range and a variety of cuts and sizes.
The process of creating a custom designed piece of jewelry begins with a conversation! Give us a call, email, or stop by the gallery. We’ll ask you questions to find out what you are interested in, and then walk you through the steps of the design process.
We are happy to work with you to create something uniquely yours. The design can start from one of our jewelry styles, from a drawing, a picture, an object… almost anthing can be used as the basis for the design.
Makeup, lotions, and hand soap can all cause buildup on your jewelry over time. Products such as perfumes and hairspray can be damaging to pearls and other soft gemstones.
Home Cleaning of Gemstones
- Try a toothbrush and mild soap. This works well for most gemstones.
- Ammonia can be used on diamonds, sapphires and rubies.
- Pearls can be cleaned with a soft, lint-free cloth either dry or damp.
- Softer gems such as opals, lapis and coral can be cleaned with mild soap. They may lose luster over time but can be resurfaced.
If you have any questions about the cleaning and care of your jewelry feel free to contact us. Bring your jewelry by Skylight any time for a thorough cleaning.
Yes we do!
We are skilled and reliable at repairing all jewelry, and will return your treasured pieces to you as good as new.
Visit our studio for a polish and cleaning of your favorite jewelry.
You can depend on Skylight for all of your jewelry needs, and you will find our prices to be fair and competitive.
Here at Skylight we’ve been incorporating Palladium into our jewelry, and we’ve been getting a lot of questions about what exactly it is. So here is some information to help clarify:
- Palladium is a naturally white metal and will not tarnish. It does not required rhodium plating and will stay white forever.
- Palladium is 30 times more rare than gold.
- Palladium is lighter than platinum, with about half the density of platinum. Therefore, a piece of jewelry made in palladium would cost and weigh significantly less than the same piece made in platinum.
- Palladium rarely causes allergic reactions, and if usually a safe alternative for those allergic to white gold.
- Palladium is durable and wears similarly to platinum.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask us!
- Four factors that make up the value of a diamond: color, clarity, cut and carat.
- Each of these four factors plays a part in the pricing of a diamond.
- You can prioritize certain factors over others.
- For example, you can decide size is more important than color, or clarity is less important than color, etc..
- Diamond color generally ranges from D (clear) to Z (toned)
- Around S the diamonds become known as “Fancy” yellow diamonds.
- The finest colors, around D, E, and F, are very clear.
- Diamond clarity ranges from flawless/perfect to I (included).
- Internally Flawless:exterior has some minor flaws
- VVS1 (very, very slightly imperfect): minute inclusions that are extremely difficult to see. Inclusions are only visible through a loop magnified 10 times.
- VVS2 (very, very slightly imperfect): minute inclusions that are difficult to see.
- for both VVS1 and VVS2, the inclusions can only been spotted by someone who has had a lot of experience looking at diamonds, and the viewer must be using a loop magnified 10 times.
- VS1,VS2(very slightly imperfect): have some very small inclusions. VS1 inclusions are more difficult to see than VS2.
- SI1, SI2 (slightly imperfect): all have small inclusions. These can only be seen in a loop.
- I1, I2, I3(visibly included): have inclusions that may be seen by the naked eye.
- There are 100 points in a carat.
- Diamonds will cost more per carat weight.
- Carat is probably the least important factor in determining the value and quality of a diamond. In other words, when purchasing a diamond, bigger does not necessarily mean better.
- Cut is what unleashes the brilliance and lets the diamond truly shine.
- Diamond cutting requires knowledge and skill.
- Precise cutting will optimize the diamond’s optical properties and allow light going in to be refracted and reflected back out, and the color to be dispersed.
- Because of the complexity in cutting a diamond, Cut is the most critical of the “4C’s”.
Everything we make is one-of-a-kind so please call or message us for current availability of anything you see on skylightjewelers.com. You may also stop by our gallery during business hours to view our full collection.